Finding my Thing

I recently left my job. I had worked for the same company for eleven years and while I liked the company and the people, I didn’t really like my job. Sales was never really some thing I was good at or aspired to get better at. My oldest child is graduating from high school this year and getting ready for college (fingers crossed), my youngest is navigating the grade one playground and exploring every activity we will allow her and my husband travels a lot. And I mean a lot. So when the opportunity presented itself I decided that this was just the right thing for me to do at this point in my life.

I had been thinking about what I would do with my time now that I am a lady of leisure. I’m almost fifty and with the kids in school I have a few hours every day to fill. While running and yoga will be high on my daily list of things to do, I feel that having another focus might be a good idea. So I thought that I would join the thousands of others out there and create a blog. Only problem is I wasn’t sure what to write about.

I don’t really have a “thing”. I’ve often wondered what my “passion” is. Never found my “niche”. Getting the picture?  I do, however, have an abundance of friends who do have a thing. From high school friends to mom friends to family acquaintance; I seem to know a lot of people who do really cool things. If ever I need advice, products or just a connection to another friend I know exactly where to go. The majority of these people have managed to create a business from their passions and are thriving in life. Whether creative or practical they are doing what they love with amazing dedication.

So where does that leave me? It leaves me with a wealth of stories and connections for great people and cool jobs, hobbies and passions. So here’s what I’m thinking. I’m going to spend the next few months ( maybe years) exploring those connections and those people. This may involve lengthy conversations over coffee or on the running trails or may even involve some wine. I’m willing to do whatever it takes to find out how they knew what their thing was and where it’s taken them. Maybe they didn’t know right away and have some cool back story about the day they discovered it. Then I’m going to share it with you.

I’m also going to try and discover what my “thing” may be by exploring all that life has to offer.  New experiences with family and friends are definitely in my future and, of course, will be well documented right here.

Here’s to discovering what the best things in life are.

Susan

P.S. I would love your feedback and comments.

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “Finding my Thing

1. leannadunn@telus.net March 12, 2014 / 2:26 am

Let’s run the trails WITH a bottle of wine!!!! That could be ‘our’ thing! Lol!!!!
    Love it!
    Looking forward to reading more:)

2. Jennifer March 15, 2014 / 12:35 am

Looking forward to reading about your best things in life! Way to go Susan!

3. Melanie March 17, 2014 / 7:30 pm

Great idea Susan! And it seems that writing may be one of your “things”, or you wouldn’t have been felt the inspiration to take this project on (as opposed to myself; to me writing feels like doing my taxes – sure, it doesn’t seem that hard but BLEH I would rather be cleaning my bathtub or pretty much anything else rather that doing it!!!).
    Enjoy it and have fun – Melanie

4. Mirella March 21, 2014 / 4:22 pm

Susan……….here’s to finding your “THING” enjoy every step you take and cherish it as if it’s your last. This is truly awesome.

5. Sharon March 25, 2014 / 7:27 am

I’m a “do-er” kind of person, a kind of jack-of-all trades. I don’t do “idle” very well. I don’t stop enough. It’s the piece of advice I tell myself often, usually while doing something…. like work, laundry, meal preparation, kids’ homework, volunteering, hanging up smelly hockey gear, or while criss-crossing town while going from here to there. I like being busy. Its’ not all in vain, I have my share of personal accomplishments that I am proud of.

I find solace in the saying “if you don’t know where you’re going, you’ll probably end up somewhere else”. It has an element of excitement and possibility. I’ve always wanted to be an artist or a writer. Just for the satisfaction and fun of creating something thought-provoking. But the end result would likely be innocuous. Other people are far more talented in their abilities to output their thoughts and ideas. — like your blog! And that’s OK for me. I like to “wing-it” too and can act on a whim, but I’m also too Capircorn-practical for things to happen entirely haphazardly. But a little radicalness on occasion won’t set me too far off the rails.

When I do create down-time, I prefer to spend it talking and laughing with my spouse, my kids or a friend. That’s when I feel the best. I really should do more of that. I have had some disappointments too, and sadly, I’ve failed some friends, but the power of together is uplifting for me. Social media doesn’t interest me very much for my personal interaction. I find the concepts and technology fascinating, but I haven’t found the need for a facebook account. I did sign up on twitter, but not even sure what my password is. And I hope I’m teaching my kids that too. Not in so many words, but in the way I am showing them the world. I keep them busy too and I actively engage myself in their lives and interests. Perhaps they don’t stop enough either, but at least they are participating in life, rather than spending their time participating in other peoples’ lives. I want them to appreciate what other’s have done as well. I also like to spend time by myself and I encourage that too. I added running to my lifestyle. I can lace up my runners and do a good 7-10K without much thought, but I really would call myself more of a jogger. Snowboarding is also relatively new for me. I’m not that good, but I sure agree with Susan’s comment about the camaraderie, the “chill-time”, and the connection to the outdoors. It’s that “just do it” feeling. I give myself a pat on the back for every personal race I win, whether there’s a finish line or not. I can laugh at my mistakes and I’m not afraid to try something new – don’t expect to see me skydiving – that’s just plain dangerous. I don’t need to be the first, or the fastest, but I like doing “it”.

Susan, I’ve had a lot of enjoyment reading your notes. I actually felt like I was sitting with you and listening to you talk out loud. It seems certain that your output is going to navigate you to something really enlightening for you. Keep on writing! Your friend, Sharon

6. jacquelineobyikocha February 29, 2016 / 10:49 am

All the best as you journey forth in discovering the best things.