I Made My Bed

messy bed

As my seven year old was getting ready for bed last night I realized that I hadn’t made my bed that morning. So I made it. Then I realized that I would be getting into and messing that bed up in an hour or so. (Ya I go to bed that early sometimes ) Anyway, I wondered if that was weird. Wouldn’t most people just crawl into the bed as it was? If my husband had been home he would have rolled his eyes, shaken his head and left the room.

Is it possible to have a lesser form of OCD? It’s not so much about dirt or mess….okay it’s a little bit about the mess….but it’s mostly about everything having a place. I like things to fit into a spot and I like them to go back to those spots should they be moved. I love organization. I’ve said that before. But this is a bit more than just being organized. It doesn’t keep me up at night….much. I just like to know where things are should I need to find them. Who knows what could be lurking in that unmade bed?

I like my towels folded a certain way and when I put them on the shelf the round edges need to be pointing out. I don’t fold my daughters undies I stack them. Two stacks. Old ones and newer ones. When I hang up my pants they all have to face the same way. My Tupperware drawer is actually organized. All the time. There’s a certain spot for pasta sauce in the pantry. In my fridge the orange juice goes in front of the milk. On the right top shelf.

Wow, writing it out makes it sound even weirder.

I spent many years in a pretty controlled relationship. I remember once we had just had our walls painted and finding myself with some free time I decided to hang all the pictures back up on the walls. My then boyfriend came home shook his head and promptly took them all down and re-hung them. I was young and in my head I thought “well I must have put them up wrong”. The reality was that the pictures were just fine. Just not precisely where HE thought they should be. They weren’t in the spot he thought they should be. I don’t want to be that person.

But I think maybe I am a bit different. I’m not a “you can’t do anything right” kind of person. But I am a ” I like things my way” kind of person. No really I am. Ask my husband.

If I could go into my daughters bedroom after a play date and put things back in the proper place I would. Not because I’m upset that it’s a mess but because…..well just because. I see you shaking your head. I don’t actually do it. That would be weird. I just think about it. Because you have to let go. You have to accept that even though somebody does something differently, doesn’t mean that they do it wrong. No, really it’s true. I didn’t believe it at first but it really is true.

So The Best Thing in Life is that I don’t seem to be worried so much anymore what people might think of me and my odd quirky habits. I’ve made my bed and now I need to lie in it.

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “I Made My Bed

1. Ritu May 12, 2015 / 4:25 pm

Oh, I have to make my bed, even if I’m just going to climb straight back in!!

2. Life of Janine May 12, 2015 / 5:59 pm

I cannot get into an unmade bed. I’d make the bed even if I was only going to immediately fold down the sheets and crawl in. Why? Because the sheets and comforter are usually uneven and with an unmade bed, one often has more covers than the other. So it’s not odd or OCD – it makes good sense 🙂

3. Miriam May 12, 2015 / 7:21 pm

I also have to make a bed before getting into it. It probably depends on whether or not you use a top sheet- I do, and everything needs to be tucked in and smoothed out and neat. Some people just use a comforter so that probably streamlines the process. But I like a top sheet, and it’s easier to wash.
    I’ve known lots of people though who wouldn’t make a bed before getting into it, or indeed make a bad at all. My husband wouldn’t.

I’m not too bad about things in cupboards and linen closets though- just getting them put away is good enough. But I do like all the dishes in certain places, and my husband always puts the mugs and glasses together and it drives me crazy. I think he does it on purpose now, just to annoy me. I just think some people feel better when things are done a certain way, and other people don’t seem to care.

4. George May 12, 2015 / 8:19 pm

You have to be happy with yourself and who you are first. If that means doing your bed or not is up to you. I do the bed every morning but that’s just me….:)

5. mariner2mother May 13, 2015 / 7:20 pm

I got over having to have a made up bed when I had my son (and being married to my husband). I didn’t even sleep in my bed the first four months of my son’s life. (Long story). My husband and son both have ADHD that affect their brain’s ability to organize. Basically, they can’t keep track of anything and can’t keep anything organized for more than 2 seconds. I, on the other hand, used to be very organized. Like you, everything has it’s place so I can find it when I need it. When I fold my bath towels, I fold them width wise in thirds. They fit in the linen cabinet that way. Mom taught me that. I used to have my pantry organized down to the can. Now it’s more of keeping the same sort of stuff on a shelf. Maybe one day, when my son is out on his own, or if I outlive my husband, my home will become uncluttered and organized again.

6. camparigirl May 14, 2015 / 5:02 pm

I am exactly like you. Everything needs to have a place, bed must be made and dishes must be washed after eating…