Why Don’t The Assholes Die?

This Saturday my husband and I will attend a memorial service for a man we worked with earlier in our careers.  He was forty seven.

In the last five years five young men we worked with at that same company have passed away.  Some from disease, others from sudden fatal accidents.  With the exception of one, all men had children. Some as young as two or three years old.  They left behind spouses, parents and colleagues who cared for them deeply.

Without exception all five men were great guys.  Kind, hard working, decent men.

Why don’t the assholes die?

Have you ever noticed what happens when a young person passes away traumatically.  If the media is involved they interview their friends and family.  The reaction is typically predictable?  “They were always smiling and happy.  Everyone liked them.”  Have you ever heard anybody say “Ya, he was a total jerk.  Mean to everybody he encountered.”

Happy pictures are shown.  Happier times are remembered.  Making it all the more devastating.

Why don’t the assholes die?

Now when I say as assholes I don’t mean the guy who cut you off getting onto the highway this morning.  Or the woman who didn’t pick up her dogs business at the park yesterday.  Not even the boss who fired you just because he thought that he could get some young hot shot to fill the position you’ve given your heart and soul to for five years.

I’m talking about those people in your life that give you consistent aggravation.  Ones that go out of their way to make your life more difficult simply because they can.

Why don’t those assholes die?

The five men that have died in the past five years were not that person.  They were funny redheaded goofballs.  They were gentle hockey loving fathers.  They were guys who always “knew a guy” who could help you out.  They were wizards with Christmas lights and skateboard ramps.  They were work colleagues who boosted you up instead of climbing over you.

They weren’t assholes.  And yet they died.

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “Why Don’t The Assholes Die?

1. Josh Wrenn February 18, 2016 / 7:27 pm

Everyone dies. Sorry for your loss.

2. Miriam February 18, 2016 / 7:43 pm

So sad. Life is terribly unfair and often hard to understand. I don’t know what I think about an afterlife, but it comforts me to believe that somehow things are made right in a cosmic sense.

• bestthingsinlife1964 February 18, 2016 / 8:03 pm

It’s times like this that I wish I was more religious and had something to fall back on for comfort.

3. camparigirl February 18, 2016 / 8:13 pm

Yes, I have noticed and I think I am more than ever inclined to believe this proves the theory that there is no god. Totally random.

4. George February 18, 2016 / 10:10 pm

I’m so sorry for your losses. That’s an unusual number of young people to pass away from the same company. Everyone believes what they will about why these things happen but it doesn’t help the families of those left behind. Prayers for those that loved them.

5. Alice Lawless February 18, 2016 / 11:59 pm

Wow Susan, it does make you wonder. So sorry to hear your news, makes me think of Rob W. We’re getting to that age when friends are starting to get sick. Be well.

• bestthingsinlife1964 February 19, 2016 / 12:07 am

Alice, so great to hear from you. Yes, Rob was one of the really good ones too. Thank you for reading. Susan